Last Modified: November 18th, 2016.
This policy applies to information we collect or is submitted to us through:
- The website at geekhive.com (“Website”)
- Social Media applications like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn (“Social Media”)
- All interactions with advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this policy
- Us Offline
- Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website or Social Media
All information that you provide on the Website or Social Media is voluntary. If you submit personal information, you agree that we may keep a record of that personal information. You also agree that if you choose not to provide all requested information, our ability to process the requested information for the purpose that it is being submitted may be limited.
WHAT INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
We collect several types of information from and about users from the Website and Social Media including:
- That by which you may be personally identified, like name, postal address, e-mail address, employer information, or telephone number (“Personal Information”)
- Information that is about you, but does not identify you, such as application essays, experience, or areas of interest
- About your internet connection, IP address, the equipment you use to access the Website or Social Media, and usage details (“Non-Personal Information”)
Personal Information that we may collect include:
- Information provided from you by filling in forms. This includes information you provide when you submit an application, register for an event, request information, enter a promotion, or report a problem with the Website
- Content that you authorize us to access, publish, and/or view on Social Media
- Records of your correspondence (including e-mail addresses), if you contact us
- Your search queries and content viewed on the website
You may also provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Website or Social Media, or transmitted to other users of the Website, Social Media or Third Parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Additionally, we cannot control actions of the other users of social media with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Each time a computer visits the Website or Social Media to read or download information, we may collect certain information from that computer. This Non-Personal Information is automatically collected from the users computer and may include information such as:
- Type of web browser being used
- Name of the Internet domain from which your computer accessed the Website or Social Media
- IP address
- Address of the website that connected you to the Website or Social Media (like google.com)
- Date and time your computer accessed the Website or Social Media
Non-personal information does not tell us who you are. We reserve the right to associate non-personal information that you have provided through the Website or Social Media.
HOW INFORMATION IS COLLECTED
We collect this information directly from you when you provide it to us and automatically as you navigate through the Website or Social Media. Information collected automatically may include Non-Personal Information, and information collected through cookies and other tracking technologies.
We may send a “cookie” to your computer. A cookie is a small piece of data that is sent to your Internet browser from a web server and stored on your computer’s hard drive and can be re-sent to the serving website on subsequent visits. Cookies also allow your computer to utilize all the features on this Site. The information that we collect using cookies is Non-Personal information. You are always free to decline our cookies if your browser permits, but some parts of our Website may not work properly for you if you do so.
HOW WE USE THE INFORMATION COLLECTED
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- Present the Website, Social Media, and its contents to you
- Improve our website experience
- Provide you with information or services that you request from us
- Send emails
- Notify you about changes to the Website, Social Media or any service we offer or provide through it
- Fulfill any other purpose for which you provide through it
- Carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered between you and us, including for billing and collection
- For any other purpose with your consent
We use Non-Personal information to help us make our site more useful to visitors and for other business purposes. For example, we may use the Non-Personal Information in cookies to help us personalize the site according to your preferences, providing you with a personalized experience. Some of the cookies are for third parties that help us advertise and measure the impact of our advertising. We may prepare reports and materials using Non-Personal information. Since personal information is not included in these reports, we may share them with others.
DISCLOSURE OF YOUR INFORMATION
We will not give, share or sell your information to a third party to allow that third party to market its goods or services.
We may disclose aggregated information about our users without restriction.
We may disclose Personal Information that we collect:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties to use to support our business
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of GeekHive or GeekHive’s parent company Nexus Media’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by
- GeekHive about the Website or Social Media users is among the assets transferred
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information
- With your consent
We may disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of GeekHive, our customers or others
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
PROVIDER ON SOCIAL MEDIA
We may also provide social media features that enable you to share information with your social networks and to interact with GeekHive on various social media sites. GeekHive is not responsible for the personal information you choose to provide in these forums. If you post, comment, indicate interest or complaint, or share personal information, including photographs, to any social network, blog, or other such forum, upon which GeekHive has an account, please be aware that any information you submit can be read, viewed, collected, or used by other users of these forums, and could be used to contact you, send you unsolicited messages, or for a purpose over which neither you nor GeekHive have control. Your use of these features may result in the collection or sharing of information about you, depending on the feature. We encourage you to review the privacy policies and settings on the social media sites which you interact to make sure you understand the information that may be collected, used, and shared by those sites.
CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 13
Protecting the privacy of children is especially important to us. Our Website is a general audience site. We do not permit anyone under the age of 13 to register with us, and no part to our Website is structured to attract anyone under 13. If you are under 13, do not use or provide any information on this Website or on or through any features/register on the Website or Social Media, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have information from or about a child under 13, please contact us online via our Contact Us page (http://www.geekhive.com/contact).
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Under California’s “Shine the Light” law, California residents who provide personal information in connection with obtaining products or services for personal, family, or household use are entitled to request and obtain from us once a calendar year information about the customer information we shared, if any, with other businesses for which we shared customer information for the immediate prior calendar year (e.g., requests made in 2015 will receive information regarding 2014 sharing activities).
Please be aware that not all information sharing is covered by the “Shine the Light” requirements and only information on covered sharing will be included in our response.
Additionally, because we may collect your Personal Information from time to time, California’s Online Privacy Protection Act requires us to disclose how we respond to “do not track” requests and other similar mechanisms. Currently, our policy is that we do not recognize “do not track” requests from Internet browsers and similar devices.
YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THIS POLICY