GeekHive’s Year in Review 2017
December 27, 2017
It’s hard to believe how quickly 2017 flew by. At the end of each year, we believe it’s good practice to look back and see what was accomplished. Check out our year in review 2017, a month by month highlight of the major things we did this past year, from welcoming new team members, to events we attended and threw, to projects we launched with our amazing agency partners.
- We got to know the ever elusive Kevin Varley, GeekHive’s camera shy Director of Technology in this interview post. He shared a lot of great insights into how GeekHive approaches technology and projects.
- We welcomed Matt Collins, Business Development Representative to our team.
- Peter Ladka, our CEO and President, participated in the Episerver Ascend conference in Las Vegas for the 2nd year in a row, once again getting inspired by their amazing speakers and the capabilities Episerver offers to our customers.
- We said goodbye to two of our co-ops from RIT, Tori and Nick. They sat down with us to let us know what they thought of their time working at GeekHive before they left.
- We led a presentation for local colleges and businesses on our cooperative education program for Hudson Valley Tech Meetup.
- We launched GeekHive yoga (every Tuesday morning) and wrote about the benefits of practicing yoga at work.
- Two members of our Wisconsin team hosted the first Sitecore User Group for Green Bay, focused on personalization in Sitecore.
- We got serious about website support in this interview, focusing on what we’ve learned building our Long-term Engagement Team and what you need to look for when engaging a support team.
- We launched our Sitecore 8 Survival Guide as a tool for our customers and developers just starting out in Sitecore.
- We welcomed Joe Balsamello, Project Manager to our team. He has since lead many successful projects for GeekHive and our clients!
- We attended Drupalcon Baltimore, another amazing event for this open source community, check out our takeaways here.
- In our first featured partner blog post, we sat down with Steve Persch, Agency and Community Engineer at Pantheon, to educate our clients about their offerings and to dig into Drupal 8.
- We attended The MarTech Conference in San Francisco. Here are 4 takeaways for agencies that really stuck out to us while we were there.
- We partnered with agency Strawberry Frog to launch First Abu Dhabi Bank’s Grow Stronger Site.
- Our very own Tim Bulter became our first Director of Account Management, spearheading our efforts to focus on customer relationships by running this growing team.
- We announced our Mission, Vision, and Values and updated our about page to reflect them.
- We threw our Ribbon Cutting Ceremony and party introducing our new space! This included a winery and distillery tour for some of our clients followed by a cocktail reception in our amazing refinished warehouse space.
- Teaming up with three® we successfully launched SleepSells, a content marketing site that provides the latest sales tools and tips for Serta Simmons Bedding sales associates.
- GeekHive was named one of Inc. Magazine’s Best Workplaces of 2017!
- We traveled to Orlando to attend Disney’s CX Summit, because making sure our employees and clients always have an exceptional experience with us is one of our top goals.
- We welcomed Joe Ouimet, our newest Sitecore Technical Lead to the team. With over three decades of experience working in tech, and the friendliest personality you’ve ever met, Joe is the perfect addition to our team.
- We sponsored the Sitecore Global Sales Kick-off, getting a chance to meet some of the amazing people who bring Sitecore out into the world.
- We traveled to the annual Gathering of Games Conference and learned a whole lot about open book management from the experts. One of best parts was seeing how Jack Stack and SRC Holdings Company ran huddles for their team. It was the most efficient and interesting huddle we’ve ever seen, talk about a well oiled machine!
- Peter announced Martech Enablement, a new service offering to help our clients figure out their marketing technologies by building up a strategy that will support them to build up their martech stacks to serve their unique business objectives.
- We updated our Services page to reflect the new approach to what we do.
- Peter became a contributor for Martech Today with Part 1 (of 9) of The Martech Enablement Series. You can find all of the posts here.
- Peter also joined the Forbes Agency Council and contributed to Forbes Seven Traits to Look for When Selecting An Agency.
- We’ve worked with CoachUSA over the past few years, helping them update their website with a rebrand and rebuild on Drupal 8, and rolling out additional web properties to unify their brand. In August we launched Coach Canada.
- In another partner featured post, we highlight the benefits of Thunderhead’s One Engagment Hub, a tool that brings customer engagement to the next level through personalization.
- GeekHive was named to the Inc. 5000 list of America’s Fastest-Growing Private Companies for the 2nd year in a row.
- As part of our long-term partnership with AmerisourceBergen we are responsible for crafting a single, centralized CMS to facilitate management of all of their global digital properties while enabling ease of future brand acquisition. This includes 20 planned properties that are being migrated over to Sitecore over the next 2 years. This month, we launched MWI’s brand site. It was actually developing MWI’s eCommerce site that started this partnership over a year ago!
- In September we welcomed long-time contractor David Kamm as a full-time employee to our team. Fun Fact: Dave also teaches our Tuesday morning yoga classes and used to own a yoga studio!
- As part of our 20+ site migration with AmerisourceBergen, we migrated their web property, The Lash Group over to their Sitecore instance.
- We attended MarTech Boston and learned a whole lot, here’s our 5 Key Takeaways.
- We sponsored the t-shirt station at Sitecore Symposium for the 2nd year in a row, check out our team’s takeaways here.
- Peter published his first feature article for Forbes, A Four Step Process for Digital Transformation.
- We completed a redesign and rebuild in just a few weeks for Cyber Threat Alliance, helping them to reach their goal of having a site that truly represents their values in time for CyberNextDC, a major event scheduled for National Cybersecurity Awareness Month.
- Saying goodbye to our interns so they can return to school is never easy, but we always take the time to get their feedback and learn from them. Check out this interview with GeekHive’s Co-Op Tim Carter of RIT.
- We celebrated Customer Experience Day for the 2nd year and this time made a video of shout-outs from both our internal staff and clients thanking one another for a job well done. As a way to give back, we also donated to UNICEF for their Hurricane relief efforts on behalf of our clients.
- We welcomed Tracey Robinson, Project Manager to our team!
- As part of our 20+ site migration with AmerisourceBergen, we migrated their web property, Cubixx Solutions over to their Sitecore instance.
- Peter was a panelist at Dreamforce in San Fransisco.
- As their long-term partner, we supported YourHearing to utilize personalization on their homepage for Black Friday.
- In the spirit of Thanksgiving, our team shared what they are grateful for, personally and professionally, including team and client shout outs.
- As part of our 20+ site migration with AmerisourceBergen, we migrated their corporate site over to their Sitecore instance.
- As the long-term technical partners for CoachUSA, we’ve supported them to modernize and bring brand cohesion to several web properties, the latest, Coach Charters launched this month. We used Geofencing (targeted geographic data based on a user’s location) to help users find and get quotes for chartered service much more quickly and efficiency.
*There were a lot of other projects for major car companies, publishers, and educational and financial institutions that we cannot publicly mention, but that we enjoyed supporting in 2017!
There are a million small moments that happen in between the big things and we appreciate our whole team for contributing to them. We can’t wait to see what we can accomplish together in 2018!
Stay up to date with our email updates!
Like what you've read? There's more where this came from!
Our monthly newsletter features a blog roundup of our top posts so you can stay up to date with industry trends, tutorials, and best practices.